Girls on the Run is a life-changing, after-school program for girls in the 3rd through 5th grade. The 10-week program teaches girls life skills such as confidence, how to be a good friend and how to stand up for themselves and others while inspiring them to be joyful, healthy and confident through the use of a fun, experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running.
The 2015 season will kick off the week of March 2, 2015, and continue through the third week of May. The program is open to girls in 3rd through 5th grade and the team will meet twice a week after school for 90 minutes per lesson on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00 pm. We could have a Tuesday and Thursday team from 2:30-4:00 pm if we have enough coaches available on those days. The program culminates with all girls and coaches participating in the Girls on the Run 5K at Vasona Park in Los Gatos on Saturday, May 16, 2015.
We are looking for volunteer coaches (male or female, 18 years and older) to keep the Girls on the Run program going at Schallenberger for the 2015 season (March-May 2015)!
You don’t have to be a runner or athlete in order to be a coach—just someone who is interested in health and wellness and wants to make a difference in a girl’s life!
Girls on the Run provides:
- Coach training so you’ll be confident leading the girls and teaching the lessons
- Full lesson plans with all of the warm ups, activities, workouts, discussion topics and questions and instructions clearly written out in your Girls on the Run curriculum book
- All of the materials needed for the entire season (from T-shirts to cones to handouts to medals)
- Priority registration for coaches’ daughters to guarantee them a spot in the program
(PLUS: 2nd grade girls are allowed in the program if—and only if—their parent is a coach)
- Support from the Girls on the Run of Silicon Valley staff throughout the season
New coaches will need to:
- Submit a coach application (available at www.gotrsv.org) on or before September 20, 2014
- Complete coach training (1 hour online in October and a fun-filled half-day in-person on a Saturday or Sunday in early November when you get to work hands-on with the curriculum)
- Commit to being at BOTH lessons EACH week during the season and at the Girls on the Run 5K (coaches are automatically signed up for the 5K when they become a coach)
If you are interested in becoming a coach: Please contact Head Coach Kim Shakeri at email@example.com Girls on the Run of Silicon Valley Program Director Miyoko Beetem at . For more information, visit www.gotrsv.org/become_a_coach.