If you are willing, there is a way you can help at Schallenberger!

  • Leadership roles on the SHSA Board or the School Site Council 
  • Curriculum Enrichment
    • Be a Cornerstone Parent or Committee Chair
    • Be an Art Vista Docent or Committee Chair
    • Band Coordinator
    • Montalvo Arts Program Liason
    • Starting Arts Program Liason
  • Teacher and Staff Support
    • Library Volunteer or Volunteer Coordinator
    • Plan Teacher Appreciation Events and Week
    • Be a Grade Representative to the SHSA
    • Assist with Classroom Parties
    • Recess 101 Program Liason
    • Make Copies
    • Classroom Helper
    • Cafeteria/Office Decorations
    • Assist with Clothes Closet
    • Manage Emergency Preparedness supplies
    • Gardening, School Beautification
  • Hospitality
    • Bake, provide baked goods or coordinate bake sales
    • Sell refreshments at school events
    • Sell ice cream at lunch once a week
    • Coordinate Kindergarden welcome events
  • Fundraising
    • Fall Festival,  Walk-a-Thon, or Spring Gala: Event Volunteer
    • Be a company sponsor
    • Donate item or service for auction or raffle
    • Coordinate Restaurant Nights or Retail Events
    • Solicit donations from local businesses for auction or raffles
    • BoxTop Coordinator
    • eScrip Coordinator
    • Grant Writing
    • 4th Grade Booster Activities (Holiday Sales)
  • Special School Events and Programs
    • Family Fun Night Coordinator
    • 5th Grade Promotion Activities Coordinator
    • Girls on the Run Coach
    • Scholastic Book Fair coordinator
    • Willow Glen Founder’s Day Parade coordinator (Aug/Sept)
  • Parent and School Communication
    • Maintain school marquee
    • Help with school yearbook
    • Take photos of school and SHSA events
    • Administer SHSA Facebook page
    • SHSA or School website manager

There are four steps to becoming a registered volunteer

Once you have completed these four steps, you will then be registered for your child’s entire time at Schallenberger, and will only need to update the school office with a TB test every 4 years.

  1. Sign up with the SHSA:  This will allow you to receive important information from SHSA.
  2. Stop by the school office and pick up a volunteer packet and Principal’s recommendation letter.
  3. Get a TB test. You can go to your family doctor or the Santa Clara County Public Health Department (see below) just down the street from district office (where you will need to go for step 3).To receive a TB skin test, call the Park-Alameda Adult Immunization & Travel Clinic at (408) 792-5200. It is located at 976 Lenzen Avenue, Rm 1300 in San Jose. Clinic Hours: Monday–Wednesday and Friday (no Thursdays) 8:30-11:00a.m. & 1:00-4:00p.m. No appointments.
  4. Get fingerprinted by SJUSD’s human resources department. The fee changes from year to year and is between $10 and $32. You will need to bring with you your driver’s license, Social Security card, and current TB test verification.Please call for your appointment (Tues.- Thurs. appointments available) at (408) 535-6006. District offices are located at: 855 Lenzen Avenue San José, CA 95126.